Saturday, September 1, 2018

Azzolina Audio KS12024

Western Electric KS12024

Western Electric KS12024
Note: ~ 140° throat bend

The Western Electric KS12024 is a 2-piece cast aluminum 4-cell sectoral high frequency (800-1000Hz cut-off) horn with a 50°H x 40°V dispersion pattern. It was implemented in the Western Electric L-8  and L-9 speaker systems.

Western Electric L-8
from the Silbatone Collection

Western Electric L-8  = 1 x WE754A + 1 x KS12024 + 1 x WE713B (phenolic diaphragm)

Western Electric L-9

Western Electric L-9 = 2 x WE754A + 2 x KS12024 + 2 x WE713B

Western Electric L9
(Note: 2 x WE713B)

Images were taken from J-Rob's KS12024/Western Electric L-8 post at Hifi Haven. If you want to learn more about the Western Electric L-8 and L-9, you can download the pdf file at the bottom of Joe's post.

Read about J-Rob's musings (post #125) about the original KS12024 and Azzolina repro at Hifi Haven.

Late 40s Western Electric Brochure
from www.hifilit.com

The KS12024 horn was from the same era as the WE32A horn that included the venerable WE757A studio monitor, WE713x compression drivers, WE755AWE756A and WE728B direct-radiator speakers.

Having been a long-time user of the Altec 755A, Altec 32A/C and more recently an Altec 756B, I consider this period as the golden age of design and manufacture of permanent magnet transducers. So when J-Rob offered to loan his personal pair of Azzolina Audio 3-D printed KS12024 horns for me to blog about, it was a privilege and opportunity difficult to pass up.

Azzolina Audio KS12024


I've been a frequent visitor to the ElectraVolt blog but never imagined I would be listening to, let alone reviewing, Charles Michlin's KS12024 reproductions. 


The original Western Electric KS12024 has a 0.7" round opening* but this Azzolina remake was optimized for 1" compression drivers like the Altec 802 that I am using for this review. As relayed by J-Rob, Charles claims the oval (rather than round) aperture sounds better. 

*All the WE horns from this era (including the 32A) were designed for use with the WE713x compression drivers and shared the same aperture size


Just like the original, this is also a true 4-cell compound sectoral horn. AFAIK, this is the model built from an amorphous plastic material. Everything else you need to know about the Azzolina KS12024 can be found here.

Testing

Altec 414A/614 + Azzolina KS12024/802 + 3000H

The Azzolina KS12024 horns were tested in the Altec 2-way system. 

Altec 414A in 614 cab 

Altec 414A woofers in 614 bass reflex enclosures running in full range mode

High-pass XO w/HF eq

Altec 802-8D compression drivers (below) with 16 ohm GPA 34852 diaphragms were mounted to the horns using the above high-pass crossover


Amorphous Plastic Azzolina KS12024 vs. Plastic Altec 32C


Altec 32C + Altec 802

This horn presents a back row perspective and may sound too laid back to those who prefer a closer to the stage presentation. The mid-range is juicy, full and vivid without a hint of shout. While the highs are feathery smooth, silky and airy, which I've only heard from its smaller sibling, the Altec 3000H. Tish (my wife) describes this horn as sublime. I think the 90°H x 40°V dispersion helps provide that holographic and lush atmosphere. 

I've written so much about this horn. Just use the search button on the right hand corner to find past entries.


Azzolina KS12024 + Altec 802

I was initially lured into the 3D-like midrange this horn produced and that lingered on. There's an uncanny realism to male and female vocals as well as musical instruments that renders an "in your room" presence. Compared to the 32C, this horn offers a front row perspective. Yet there isn't a trace of harshness or shout. Definitely a horn that will appeal to those who find the 32C too laid back yet need a horn that doesn't sound like a horn.

It is superior to the 32C in terms of articulation and detail without ever sounding analytical. There's a lot of snap, if I may borrow a term from its owner 😉, just like its stable mate - the WE/Altec 755A.

Azzolina KS12024 + Altec 802 + Altec 3000H

Tish thinks it is as good as but not quite as lush as the Altec 32C. I agree. This is primarily a tonal balance issue. Due to the prominent midrange, the extreme treble frequencies are slightly subdued giving a less airy atmosphere. Adding the Altec 3000H to fill in the uppermost octave helped in approximating the lushness of the 32C. But I still found myself wanting more "hall sound." I speculate that the KS12024's narrower 50° horizontal dispersion contributes to the comparatively austere background. Perhaps I am belaboring this point since my personal preference when I attend concerts is to sit towards the back row so I can relish equal amounts of direct and reflected sound.

Summed up

2 x KS12024 = 100° H x 40° V

These two horns share the same sonic DNA but are genetically modified for different applications. The more up-front and involving Azzolina KS12024 betrays its theatre heritage versus the mellower 32C, which was intended for near-field monitoring. I can't help but wonder if a horn design combining the virtues of both designs is a possibility.








2 comments:

  1. So,so interesting..."I can't help but wonder if a horn design combining the virtues of both designs is a possibility."
    Hi there,sorry,I'll be straight to the point,what about the KS12027 from 757A monitors?I'm so interested in that type of horn,make me think at kind of a Smith horn type...I've read about the sound of these(757A)and I think it's what I'm after.
    I read with interest about your sonic searches and I like the way you "put your words together" ,congratulations!

    Greetings from Romania,
    Antonio Stanca

    P.S: Sorry for my bad english.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Antonio,

      I made references to the WE757A and WE753C only because those were the horn systems that impressed me over 20 years ago as "not sounding like a horn". These speaker systems didn't honk, were not harsh and actually sounded more refined than many modern audiophile speakers.

      I myself am curious as to how the WE757A will compare to my Altec concoction in my listening room. However that is almost an impossible dream given how rare and valuable the WEs are.

      I've listened to the JBL 2397 which is a Smith type horn and was not as impressed. It wasn't a harsh horn but it didn't have the sense of realism I hear from the Altec 32 or Azzolina KS12024. Since the Smith horn article was published in 1951, I'll even speculate that it may have been inspired by the KS12027.

      Thank you for the kind words and visit!


      JE

      Delete