Thursday, April 5, 2018

Garrard 301 - minor restoration

ca. 2003

I acquired this early grey grease-bearing model at a Hamfest around '96. I was the only person willing to shell out $240, which was the firm asking price of an elderly gentleman.

Attic - ca. 2009

It travelled back to Manila with me in '08 where it had to endure the extreme humidity of the tropics. Despite the adverse conditions, its performance remained very stable during the 8 years spent there.

The original grey hammer tone finish had deteriorated due to corrosion so I asked my assistant to mask the important mechanical bits. 😉


I think she did a pretty good job. What do you think? 😁


I used Rust-oleum silver hammerite spray paint which is a lighter shade than the Garrard original.  


I cleaned, flushed and re-packed the main bearing with 2 NGLI grease. The motor had no issues, so I just put a few drops of oil. Unlike the E50 motor in the Thorens TD124 which needs periodic motor servicing, I've never opened the motor on this 301.


When I acquired the unit, the power switch was already broken. I've had this spare speed selector switch in my parts bin for over 15 years courtesy of my buddy Joel. While waiting for the paint to cure, I cut and filed it down to function as a power switch.

Not a bad fit. 😎


I cleaned up 15 years of dust and soot build up on the plinth and then applied sealer and wax.


Here's to many more years of service! 🍻

2 comments:

  1. What mat do you use/recommend for the 301?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using a rubber mat that is very similar to the original which is stashed in one of the boxes I haven't sorted yet. In the past I've also used a felt and cork mat. They all sound decent, no drastic differences between them. If you are happy with what you have, don't change it. Buy more LPs instead!

      JE

      Delete