Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Garrard 401 + Alfred Bokrand AB309 tonearm

 Garrard 401


Fine Engineering from Swindon, UK

 I have a couple of very good friends whose ears I trust that are Garrard 401 users - Ben and Joey. Joey is the head honcho of Harana Audio and one a partner in G.I.P. Labs, Philippines. Another was my dearly departed buddy, Brian "monofantastico" Clark, who actually believed the 401 was superior to the 301. 

So there's been no doubt in my mind that the 401 is at least at par with its older brother. Although I've always wanted one, I wasn't dying to own one.


Manufactured on the 23rd week of 1968

That was until one dreary Sunday evening, when I put a modest bid for a 401. Much to my surprise, within a couple of hours, I received an email notice that I won!

This is one of, if not the best, transaction I ever made at the auction site. The packing was bullet-proof and the unit was pristine! Best of all the seller was a kindred soul. Thanks so much FJ!


Open Plinth


Garrard 401 + Audio-Technica AT1501 MkII + Denon DL103

The 401 was pretty much plug and play except for the dead strobe light, which I didn't mind since it's a 50Hz UK model anyway. The square chassis made it a natural for open plinth mounting. With a few scrap pieces of wood + clamps I gathered from the garage + an Audio-Technica AT1501 MKII, it was making music in no time.

I was transported back to the late 80s with my first Thorens TD124 MkII and Garrard 301, which I acquired in the mid 90s. These idler driven turntables had to acquit themselves on their own merits without the aid of heavy damped plinths. 


Garrard 401 + Audio Technica AT1501 MkII + Nagaoka MP11

I have Flickr and Instagram contacts who use their 401s and other idler drives sans plinth. They probably hear the same open, effortless and airy sound I heard. The experience is akin to open baffle mounted drivers. 

But just like open baffle speakers, bass extension is rather limited in my temporary set up. I think this can be significantly improved by the use of a heavy tonearm pod and massive support columns.  

Moldavian Plinth



 While I was scouting my area for a machine shop that can fabricate a heavy tonearm pod and support columns, a friend who knew I'm a sucker for light colored mid-century modern wood finish, offered his surplus Moldavian-built Garrard 401 plinth. 


Garrard 401 + Grace G565 + Denon DL103

After a few hours with a hole saw, chisel, lots of saw dust and wood chips, I pretty much confirmed the assertion of my aforementioned friends with regards to the merits of the Garrard 401. Indeed, it has all the great qualities of the 301, except the snob appeal. 

All it needs now is a tonearm that befits its stature.


Wanted: transcription length tonearm

longer = less tacking distortion

Audio Technica AT1501-II
spindle to pivot mounting distance = 270mm

Although the Audio-Technica AT1501-II and Grace G565 are excellent 11" tonearms, both lack the gravitas of the Ortofon RMG309 and SME 3012. The 1" (25.4mm) shorter length shared by the AT1501-II and Grace G565 vis a vis their European counterparts is a factor.

 
Grace G565
spindle to pivot mounting distance = 270mm

Other contributing elements are the design, quality and type of bearings, tonearm material and mass. All of these can make or break the performance of a tonearm.


Ortofon RMG309
spindle to pivot mounting distance = 309mm

After over two decades of Ortofon RMG309 and SME 3012 ownership, I'm convinced that the RMG309 extracts more musical information from the SPU cartridge than the SME 3012. However, the RMG309's counterweight/tracking force arrangement limits its use to the SPU or a head shell/cartridge combination = 30 grams.  


SME 3012 Series II (early version)
spindle to pivot mounting distance = 295mm
 

The versatility of SME 3012 makes it a great partner for the Denon DL103 series and other cartridges in my stash. Perhaps the original stainless steel SME 3012 gives the RMG309 a run for the money? But good luck finding one.


Alfred Bokrand AB309 Tonearm


With my limited budget, hunting for another RMG309 or SME 3012 is out of the question in this day and age. It was just timely that Alfred Bokrand was running an auction for a few of his bespoke creations based on the Ortofon AS212.



 I've always lusted after the EMT 997 "Banana" reissue and Groovemaster II. So I chose to bid on an AB309 instead of the more conventional AS309. After putting a winning bid, I waited patiently for over a month. 

Due to the slow sailing galleon from Spain, I had time to search for my original RMG309/TD124 tonearm board and cut a tonearm board for the 401/Moldavian plinth.



To facilitate moving the tonearm between the 401 and TD124, I also ordered an extra Ortofon AS212 tonearm base from Serge at Karmadon Audio. Highly recommended for tonearm swappers!

As I took the AB309 out of its foam-lined wooden presentation case, it exuded with quality workmanship. If Alfred didn't disclose it, I wouldn't have known that this tonearm was built on the main bearing tower of a vintage Ortofon tonearm.   


Thorens TD124 + AB309 + Pickering 380

Since I already had the RMG/TD124 tonearm board prepared, set up was a breeze on the Thorens TD124. Tracking force is set by sliding the counter weight until proper vertical tracking force (VTF) is reflected on a tracking force gauge. 

It's only necessary to use the large + small counterweight when using the SPU, which weigh a little over 30 grams. My other cartridge/head shell combinations within the 14-26 gram range only required the single large counterweight.

Compared to the SME 3012, the AB309 is even simpler to use and the split counterweight arrangement makes it truly a versatile tonearm. Bravo, Herr Bokrand!



AB309 tonearm
spindle to pivot mounting distance = 309mm

After several months of listening to my favorite LPs with the AB309 mounted on the TD124 or 401, I still could not get into A/B testing/reviewer mode. I'm always drawn to enjoying the music LP after LP. 

Suffice it to say, I've known my hifi system for many decades. When a new component is inserted I can immediately detect whether it is detracting or enhancing my musical experience. 

There may be some subtle differences between the 301/RMG309/SPU#1s vs. 401/AB309/SPU#1s but that would be splitting hairs, which I'm loathe to do. So from here on, I will share my thoughts as to why I've held the Ortofon RMG309, SME3012 and more recently, the AB309 in such high esteem.



Thorens TD124 + AB309 + Teac TC15 aka FR1 MKII

Just like the Ortofon SPU cartridge, a transcription length tonearm is an acquired taste. For the uninitiated, the sonic virtues of the SME 3012, RMG309 and AB309 may come across like the volume control was taken down a couple of notches. To put it another way, due to the larger scale presentation, the added details become more subtle.

However, once you get past this threshold, you will notice a more expansive soundstage with a blacker background. From there you'll start hearing better lower level detail retrieval, improved micro and macro dynamic contrasts, greater dynamic range and more extended frequency extremes. 


Garrard 401 + AB309 + SPU#1s

The relaxed yet dignified authority of these tonearms is what makes them highly sought after by aficionados. 

Stay safe and happy listening!






14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new/old 401, it looks great. I agree with your assessment that these tables are such performers when they are mechanically sound; it doesn't do much good to try and analyze the differences.

    I have been waiting 3 months for my Bokrand AB309 and it just shipped yesterday, though mine will be going on a Lenco. It's really a bargain compared to the price of vintage SMEs and Ortofons today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inasmuch as I can be a gear-head, I'm a second generation classically trained musician. It's got to be about the music!

      I hope all is well with you. Stay safe!

      JE

      Delete
    2. PS: I hope you get your AB309 soon. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful table I also ordered an arm from Alfred as well but the communication is a bit sketchy. How long did you wait for yours he stated 8 to 10 working days but i am skeptical...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      My AB309 took 5-6 weeks to arrive. Sparse communication is typical. My friend JP also ordered a tonearm and had a similar experience. I really meant "slow sailing galleon from Spain" ;) IME, it was worth the wait!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for getting back cheers..

      Delete
  3. Hi- did you ever try to double check alignment with a protractor with you AB309? I used a Feickert and the stylus comes 2.5MM short of the crosshairs. It seems like there's an error in the mounting distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The AB309 measures just like my Ortofon RMG309. When I got the RMG309 in the late 90s, I measured the overhang (+ SPU GME-II) using my 80s Cart-Align protractor and it fell short by about 3 mm. Since I much preferred the sound of that combination vs. the FR64fx (also measured short), I never worried about it.

      If you're using a conventional cartridge + slotted head shell, you shouldn't have problems adjusting to Feickert specs.

      Delete
  4. Bonjour de France merci pour vos détails très pointus . Pour les cellules Shure 44 et 75 et 90 est il indispensable le transfo d élévation ? Avant le préampli phono a lampes 6j7 mg ? Merci cordialement Thierry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike low output moving coil cartridges like the Ortofon SPU or Denon DL103, Shure phono cartridges do not require step up transformers because they are magnetic type.

      Delete
    2. Ok merci pour votre réponse et bonne année 2024 Thierry

      Delete
  5. Hi, I just spent way too much time reading your blog. You have amazing content. Thank you. I have ventured into SPU / Bokrand combination but would need to add a SUT. Do you have any recommendations considering you’re more experienced than me when it comes to hifi. Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beyond all my MC transformer uploads -https://jelabs.blogspot.com/search/label/MC%20transformer - I can't really give definitive advice as to what would be best suited for your hifi system because there are so many variables in audio, let alone personal taste.

      My main objective in sharing my "non-mainstream" audio adventures on the internet is to encourage people to search for what satisfies them musically. The last thing I'd want is for my blog to become an alternate recommended components database.

      Besides, if let's say you spring for a TOTL Finemet FM-MCT1, Hashimoto HM7 or a classic Altec 4722 and end up not liking any of them, you can easily recoup at least 70% of your cost (maybe more with the 4722). That's much less depreciation compared to a typical high end audio product.

      Delete