Monday, July 1, 2019

Darling Amp, JE Labs Style


It's been 20 years since jc morrison started hosting the new york noise audio design exhibition at his Hoboken, NJ loft. One of the highlights of that year's exhibit was Darlingfest '99 as reported by Jeremy Epstein in the final issue of Sound Practices. The Darling amp was the brainchild of Bob Danielak and was published in Sound Practices Issue 15.

Jeremy's octal driven Darling amp made a lasting impression on me but I never got a chance to build my own version due to a busy performing schedule.


While I was organizing my workshop in the basement this past winter, I found power and output transformers from a Sony TC500A tape recorder + other parts to build a Darling amp.  


The chassis cleaned up nicely with a wire brush. Then I drilled, cut and punched the necessary holes before spraying a fresh coat of silver Hammerite.


I chose the 6F5 hi-mu triode with a cool grid cap as the input/driver tube.


To qualify as a Darling amp, the indirectly heated 1626 transmitting triode  output tube is de rigueur.


The TC500A donated a healthy 6CA4 rectifier.


!!!WARNING!!! 

The voltages found in this circuit can be lethal, build at your own risk!!!


My interpretation of a Darling amp is ready for testing and listening!

Bench Testing

Both channels driven



P = V²/L

2.415 x 2.415 = 5.832/8 = .729 or 729mW per channel


Hum and Noise = 1.8mV

100Hz

1kHz

10kHz

I did not expect this level of performance from the cheap looking Sony OPTs, which I also verified while listening to the amp!


Bass extension is surprising from this 3/4 watter! It is deeper and tighter compared to my Tango'ed SE171A amp. However, in the midrange, the true Directly Heated Triode shines. The 1626 was just a touch veiled in comparison. Although it sounds more powerful than the similarly rated SE171A, it also doesn't overload as gracefully. I remember hearing a similar phenomenon when Steve @ Angela Instruments asked me to build the Simple 5691 > EL34 SE amplifier. The Simple 45/2A3 clips with more finesse. Is the cathode causing the relative lack of transparency and harder clipping?


The days of $5 Type 45s and 2A3s are long gone. But NOS 1626 tubes can still be acquired for under $10 a piece. Since it has a cathode, with careful wiring less than 2mV noise is achievable on AC heating which is quiet enough for me even on headphones. There's no need to hunt for hard to find 25-75 ohm, 2W hum nulling pots. That's just a couple of reasons as to why a Darling amp derivative is one of the cheapest and easiest routes to a DIY SET amp nowadays.

Did I mention that it also does a great job driving headphones?

headphone adapter/attenuator schematic for 
efficient headphones ex: Grado SR80, Koss KPH30i/Porta Pro
Lower efficiency/high impedance classic headphones like the 600 ohm AKG K240 Monitor, 
Sennheiser HD420, HD6xx and Orthodynamic/Planar magnetic: Echo TDS-16, 
Fostex T10 and Yamaha YH-1, can be driven directly from the speaker terminals


Happy listening!









13 comments:

  1. Nice write-up and a nice -- umm -- reboot of the trip down SET memory lane that is the Darling amp! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time really flies.

      Thanks for dropping by mrh!

      JE

      Delete
  2. Nicely done Darling! (not "nicely done, darling!" Heh...)

    Could you comment a little more on the sound as a headphone amplifier? I have a couple pairs of these transformers tucked away and the 600 ohm tap seemed too good to ignore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only comparison I could make was to the headphone amp section of the Xiang Sheng DAC 01A and Audio GD R2R 11 DAC. No contest, SE1626 wins! More depth, 3-D mids, greater air and space...the SE71A with Tango H5S was even better, but also noisier due to AC fils. If I were to get serious with the SE1626 as a headphone amp, I might also go DC fils. Hope that helps.

      Thanks for dropping by!

      JE

      Delete
    2. Thanks, that's just what I was hoping to hear. I'll be sure to add a headphone jack to whatever I end up building with those transformers... someday.

      Delete
  3. Curious Joseph, where did you put the 1/4" headphone jack. I don't see one in any of the photos.

    Anthony Pircher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No jack in the chassis, I have a simple 1/4" stereo jack contraption that I connect to the speaker terminals. :)

      JE

      Delete
    2. If I may, what is the use of he 600 ohm tap on the opt’s? Looks like perhaps a preamp output.

      Delete
    3. Yes, the original schematic indicates a line output from the 600 ohm tap.

      Delete
    4. Which begs the question.... have you tried this design as a preamp?

      Delete
    5. I did try it as a preamp just for kicks. Too much gain for my system. I think it has to be re-engineered for preamp duty. 😊

      Delete
  4. Wow, currently my 6sn7/1626 darling amp is my favorite ��, it can easily drive my Altec 416 8B in 360L Onken, JBL 2482 in Sato Horn with JBL 2405 for HF - Passive Crossover 300hz ~ 7khz

    https://youtu.be/zrf8ZzyXFWQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats and happy listening! 👍🏻🍻

      Delete