Thursday, September 23, 2021

Budget MC SUTs: Sony HA-T10 vs. Shure Mic Transformers

Way before I knew about SPUs and DL103s, I experimented with an entry level Audio Technica AT31E MC cartridge. Since my NAD 3020 didn't have an MC input, a pair of Sony HA-T10s were recommended at the same discount NYC store. I mounted the cartridge on a Grace G707 which was perched on a "molested" AR-XA. The sound was very different compared to my Grado GTE+1 - quieter background, more detail, deeper and wider soundstage, albeit less midrange presence and warmth.

I moved on to a Grado Signature 8, 8MX, MZ and lost track of my Sony HA-T10s. I probably loaned them to an audio buddy who forgot to return them. During a moment of nostalgia, I hit the BIN button for a pair @ a little over $100, shipped! I've listened to them with all the MC cartridges pictured above and they make pretty nice sounds! 

However, I can only justify the price I paid because of sentimentality. To my ears, the Shure mic transformers below are mucho better performers at ~ $40/pair + some DIY. Remember that HA-T10s were mass produced MC step ups, not limited production transformers using exotic nickel/amorphous/Finemet materials. Thus, sellers asking $200-400/pair are greedy!
 

Through the years, eBay sellers have benefitted from my blurb about Altec 755s, 32 horn, 414 woofer, 4722/15095, GE RPX, Gray Research tonearm + clones, Shure M3D and M7D, etc. Now I doubt if any Sony HA-T10 seller will even link to this upload.😆

Let me just say this to Shure microphone transformer sellers - as good as they are, once you break the $100/pair barrier, you've got tons more competition. So if you've got business smarts, be reasonable!😎




No comments:

Post a Comment