Saturday, April 15, 2023

Warming up the Denon DL102

Ever since I acquired a Denon DL102 for my first dedicated mono hifi set up, I found it sounding rather distant and a bit frosty compared to the GE RPX and VRII

Since Denon recommends a 1000 ohm load for flattest response, I tried soldering a 1k ohm resistor in parallel with the 47k input (47,000 x 1000/47000 + 1000  = 980 ohms) of my variable EQ phono preamp. Unfortunately, the sound became even more glacial.

I could have been basking in warmth by now (without losing stereo LP compatibility) if I saved up for an Ortofon SPU mono but the DL102 body fits a Gray Research or clone tonearm slide perfectly. Besides, I would rather add more stereo SPUs to my cache.😉

Since I've been using 1:1 line transformers as digital sound processing devices at the output of my CD players for ages, I decided to try the same trick by wiring the Altec 15356 and UTC A20 with a mild step up - 150:600 and 125:500, respectively. Even if both primaries reflected significantly less than Denon's recommended 1000 ohms, what I heard encouraged me to continue to experiment. 

Although I'm not anal retentive about impedance matching, I was curious too see if the sound would improve by using transformers that reflect at least twice the 240 ohm internal impedance of the Denon DL102. I managed to procure the three transformers above: to the left is allegedly a Tamura 600:3k, then I tapped the McMartin MT-4's 10k:60k winding, and at the center is a permalloy 10k:40k, which sells for about $50/shipped from Chinese sellers on AliExpress and eBay. 

 

In the context of my mono hifi set up, the McMartin MT-4 was a bit too warm for my taste. However, even if I upload videos merely for the visual spectacle, the permalloy (above) and Tamura (below) transformers are lush enough for me.😉

But as usual in this hobby, YMMV. 
Happy Listening!😊






No comments:

Post a Comment