Friday, June 9, 2023

Cork Turntable Mat

 

 Rubber hardens as it ages and this is exactly what happened to the rubber mats originally supplied with my Garrard 301, 401, Thorens TD124 and other turntables. I'm aware that modern reproductions are available, but I wanted something more affordable and practical. So I surfed and found a 3-pack cork mat with an LP label indentation for $12 on Amazon.

Does this mat make the sound better?🤔 Hmm...frequent visitors to this blog know better that after several decades in this hobby, I've grown averse to typical audiophile hair-splitting.😉

However, I'm happy to report that a few LPs from my collection which are slightly dished or warped now lie flat. That's good and I like the sound.

Try it and hear for yourself!😊

Happy Spinning!🎻🎷🎶





2 comments:

  1. Can you please share your TD124 plinth-less mounting details? still using mushroom? Any impression vs. wood plinth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TD124 is on stock rubber mushrooms + plastic pipe fittings from Home Depot. I'd say the sound is analogous to mounting my Altec 755s in an open baffle instead of being enclosed in a Silbatone cabinet or 2cf/618 box.

      Not better, just different. :)

      Delete